Monday, July 9, 2012

Thing #8

The three wikis I investigated were: Go West, Kindergaten Counting Book and Schools in the Past. I really wanted to explore wikis created by lower grades and these were the three I found. I really liked Go West because I could picture a third grade class I taught during my student teaching doing this. I really liked the organization and visuals. As I explored the wiki, I was asking myself, "was this really made by a third grade class?" All the information was organized beginning with introduction, information on the oregon trail and fun facts. As I clicked on clothing, food and recipes, I was impressed by the information added and the pictures. Overall, I think this wiki was amazingly organized and put together. 
The second one was Kindergarten Counting Book. I was a bit confused by this wiki. I scrolled down and found pictures added by students (all the way to 100) At first, I wasn't sure about what I was looking for, but then I realized that the goal was for each student to add a different picture to represent a different number. I was trying to picture if I could do this with my kindergarten class, and I think it's definitely possible. Maybe I could do some type of addition wiki with them and add pictures of different manipulatives we used to add. Also, I would love to create a wiki on reading concepts, such as characters, main idea, visualizing etc. 
The last wiki I explored was Schools in the Past. I enjoyed this wiki because it was information on interviews made by first graders. I love to see writing on topics that are meaningful to students, and I think this was definitely meaningful to them. I think this wiki was a less organized than the others, but I enjoyed reading its content. 
I am for sure going to try creating a wiki with my students. My plan is to get together with the other kindergarten teacher and come up with ways in which we can engage our students with technology, and I think this will be a great way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment